Monday, April 27, 2020

Quarantine Musings On Day 43

Today marks quarantine day # 43. With the exception of two outings--one on April 5 and the other yesterday--I haven't ventured more than one hundred feet from our little apartment. COVID-19, colloquially known as "Coronavirus", has changed life as we knew it. My fear is that the change will be permanent in some way or another. It's hard to imagine how that change could be positive.

Here in Georgia our governor has mandated that restaurants and theaters are allowed to open beginning today. Though many have opted to continue a suspension of in-restaurant dining, there are many that will resume with "social-distancing" orders to be followed. As much as I personally want things to get "back to normal" I can't help but think this could backfire with cases and deaths on the increase in this state.

I began my day on March 16 with bold aspirations. I was going to tackle all of my boxes with family photographs and continue the time-consuming task of digitizing them. I was going to do a lot of baking and cooking. I planned on journaling each day and writing regularly for my blog again. There were lots of classic movies on my DVR and I intended to view them on leisurely afternoons after reading numerous books that had accumulated on my bedside table or near my sofa. I was going to faithfully read the daily newspaper that still arrives on my doorstep each morning. There were so many good intentions. To my credit, I didn't squander all of my time. I mean, I actually did either start or complete a number of these things.

Less than a week into this new "abnormal" my husband began working from home. It's a two-bedroom place, our apartment. He typically travels quite frequently for work and, since I teach part-time, we go for stretches without seeing one another. Normally. He now must maintain communication with all of the South American countries he does business with. In Spanish. Out loud. Let's just say it's not an ideal situation for reading--even with my headphones on. Still, it's nice to be spending more time with him--and it beats being alone in isolation I'm sure.

There is a balcony. I've been able to take advantage of it on the nice days and I've filled the birdfeeders with a new selection of seeds designed to attract a larger variety of birds. The new mixture hasn't disappointed and it's so cool to see the huge variety of colors and hear the different songs.

I really can't complain. We aren't hurting. We have food in our bellies and a safe, comfortable place. We have wi-fi and smart phones and Zoom. We have clean water and the ability to take daily showers even if we haven't worked up a sweat. I check myself often when I want to complain because--really--I have very little to complain about. The fact that I recognize this may set me apart--perhaps just a little--from some of my likewise privileged counterparts--who may not have recognition of their blessings.

Am I scared? You bet. But I can't even begin to grasp the fear that some are feeling right now. For that, I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment