Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Embracing The Nerd Within...Again

There's no doubt I was a nerd as a child. Sports wasn't my thing and never became my thing. My head was always in a book if I wasn't watching an old black and white film on TV. I found additional pleasure in drawing and writing and that was pretty much the scope of my activities from the ages of 9 through 16. 

Something happened around my junior year of high school which would change all that. Although I hadn't achieved popular status or total acceptance with the "cool kids." I'd managed to carve a niche for myself as a freak and that had it's own perks as I was now that "crazy kid who'd do anything."

After moving to Texas in the summer of my graduation year (1982) I began working and started college which soon turned into quitting college, partying and working to survive. I would say that partying became my primary activity with work secondary and school a distant eventuality...if ever. I wouldn't return to school for many years. I was popular amongst my shifting groups of friends through these years and I always seemed to have a boyfriend, lover or at least a few guys who maintained steady interest in me. I dropped my glasses in early 1984 when I got my first pair of contacts and I was suddenly fresh meat as I still had a baby face and older guys (I'd undoubtably call them predators now) found me irresistible. Where was that nerd? He still inhabited my being but I had no time for him. I needed to project an image that didn't allow him to show up amongst friends. He certainly did emerge when I was alone and had no "image" to project. I amassed a large collection of books over those years. They were simply decoration where others were concerned but in private, I read voraciously. All the while, I continued to fake a "dumb blonde" act (my hair was generally shades of platinum during this time) because I thought that's what attracted older, stable guys with money.

There's a whole bunch missing from this story because it is another story in it's own right. But let's just for the sake of brevity move quickly over the twenty years it took to realize that I missed him--that nerd. He slowly began to emerge--first cautiously, as a stranger from a gentler time--wanting to help me adjust to a new normal. He quietly (he was pretty shy) reminded me that looks were unimportant and that being accepted into "exclusive" groups wasn't a sign of popularity or status but actually shallowness. 

He's actually here with me today as I write this--yet another essay--ruminating on life and enjoying the pen as it moves along the lines of this notebook. I'm totally in love with him!

(Here he is with the Easter "Nest"...1974)

No comments:

Post a Comment